Hardscape Ideas for Your Small Backyard
For those that are not sure what hardscape is, it includes the heavier elements in designing your backyard like your patio, driveway, rocks, stones, stone benches, arbors, etc. It can also include installing sprinkler systems and installation of swimming pools and fountains. Now that you know what hardscape includes let us look at some design ideas for your small backyard.
• Visual levels – to give your backyard a dramatic look create some levels there. You can add a pathway laced with flowers, bushes, etc to give it an aesthetic appeal. You can also convert a wall into a vertical garden. You could even use the top portion of the wall to hold your plants. You can use steps to reach this high wall and the area that surrounds the area can be a seating area with a nice stone bench or two.
• Living water flows – you might think that it would not be possible to add a water feature to your small backyard but it can be done. Doing this will add dimension to your yard and it will also make a soothing area to come to when you want to relax and unwind.
• Isolated islands – to make this happen you will need to choose a spot that is the center of your backyard. Using tiles to create an island make sure that it is big enough to accommodate a couple of chairs with a side table between them. Another type of hardscape would be a trellis or two behind the chairs so you could plant climbing roses or other climber plants, ivy, or creepers. You could also plant some plants. In a few months you will have your own special island.
• Interesting pathways – you can make a special pathway from your backdoor to your special island or the living water oasis. Use artistic blocks to spruce up your pathway. You can plant palms or bamboo shoots along the boundary of the pathway or keep flowering plants there. Put in some solar lights to light up your pathway.
• Decor – keep any decor that you use simple so it will not take away from your special areas. You want to use hardscape elements that will breathe space into your special island or water oasis.
Make sure that anything you have built is easy maintained. You want to make sure that you spend more time enjoying your special area instead of maintaining it. In your area you may want to include some lighting so you can enjoy it at night. If you do make sure that you include citronella candles to keep the bugs away.